Position Openings: Docent (Volunteer Educator)
The I-20 Wildlife Preserve and Jenna Welch Nature Study Center is seeking experienced docents who will work with the Education Coordinator and Bilingual Facilitator to support education programs. The I-20 Wildlife Preserve outdoor education program focuses on the youngest of students in our WILD at The Preserve classes for ages 18 months – 7 years. Our education program extends through K-12 and beyond and docents may at times be required to lead classes for alternate age groups. The WILD curriculum is designed to foster a sense of wonder surrounding the natural world. Parents and caregivers accompany their children during each class as the program explores and introduces environmental concepts of the Permian Basin. The program offers four class sessions per month, two sessions on a Tuesday morning, and two sessions on a Saturday afternoon. Docents will be responsible for leading lessons and delivering WILD curriculum when the education staff is unable due to emergency, illness, etc. Docents may also assist in preparing the outdoor classroom and materials as well as overseeing and evaluating student’s performance and development. Docents will be required to attend I-20 Wildlife Preserve training and Project WILD training before the Fall of 2021. If you have a passion for education, outdoor lifestyle, and the natural world please submit your application and resume for consideration.
- A certificate or bachelor’s degree (in progress considered) from an accredited university with emphasis in education, natural resource management, biology, or environmental science (commensurate experience may be considered in lieu of education)
- Completion of Preserve training and Project WILD training before the Fall of 2021
- Professional experience in education, natural resource management, biology, or environmental science
- Familiarity with Google Classroom
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Skilled in written and oral communication
- Ability to manage learners of all ages
- Ability to work outside under varying conditions (extreme weather classes will be postponed)
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) will be a necessary skill for at least one of the docent positions available
If you are interested in applying for this position, you may submit your application here.